12 April 2008 Chugach State Park



Some time back in March, the driveway and roads were clear of ice, the snow had disappeared under the trees, and we started riding our bikes again. Paul even suggested changing over the tires when we got flats in 2 tires on the car. That seemed like crazy talk to me, despite the beautiful weather. Even the daffodils were coming up on the south side of the house.

Thankfully, caution (or laziness) prevailed and we left the snow tires on. After the snowfall on the 5th and 6th, we got a another dump on Wednesday the 9th. It was the worst morning commute of the winter. I think a lot of people had removed their winter tires back in March. The newspaper called the spring snow a "sucker punch."

A dusting very early Friday morning made for a nice ski for me and my friend Jo-Ann in Chugach State Park that afternoon. We both try to take every other Friday off and often ski or bike together, depending on the season. On Saturday, Paul and I headed back to Chugach and ventured on the Middle Fork Trail, a longer tour near tree line. The route can often be icy but Saturday's conditions were near perfect -- both with snow and sunny temperatures.

And now on Tax Day we are getting another snow fall! The prediction is for 1 - 3" and already an inch has accumulated on the deck. This storm is supposed to pass tonight, but current visibility is about two blocks. My bike club has its first ride tomorrow (to celebrate Jo-Ann's 41st birthday) but I'm wondering if I ought to stick my skis on the car just in case.

No comments: