18 may 09 generous spring

Soon the trails will be dry & this bike will be getting out more

I'm often saddened after local elections because inevitably (with a few exceptions), parks and recreation bonds in this city get voted down. Bicycling around town the last two weeks, I wondered who votes down these measures because it looks to me like everyone is using the trails and bike paths in the greenbelts and long the roadways.

Yesterday I pedaled to Quaker Meeting in the afternoon, along my usual route which includes a lovely stretch of the Campbell Creek trail paralleling Tudor Drive. When the weather is nice, I am amazed at the number of people crammed into the small Campbell Park where the creek flows under Lake Otis Drive. Kids were wading in the creek (hey, it's 60 degrees and the ice went out last week!), teenage girls were working on their tans, dogs were catching frisbees, couples were strolling hand-in-hand. I assume most of the people that use this park live in the apartment complexes of the neighborhood. This park and greenbelt are their backyard.

This morning I rode to work on the usual spring route, which includes a lovely stretch of the Chester Creek Trail. Moms in a fitness class were pushing chariots up over the Northern Lights pedestrian bridge while doing squats (!), couples were pushing strollers, college kids were running with their dogs. I went in late this morning so I missed the early morning strolls of the older Asian ladies. Instead I saw the younger women harvesting tender greens in the grassy areas along the trail.

I wish we were voting on these bond issues in the middle of May, when it's been bright and sunny for almost 3 weeks and only the deranged and really mean people haven't been made giddy (and generous!) by the sunshine.

No comments: