24 mar 2010 peace testimony


It's been one of those weeks with a convergence of work and volunteer commitments. The volunteer stuff leads to fun though ... kicking off our women's mountain biking club season, planning a Quaker retreat in Talkeetna, and supporting the Great Land Trust as it helps protect important places in south-central Alaska. I can't say that my job duties this week -- annual budgeting, proposal writing, and attending an assembly meeting -- are fun. On top of being sick this last weekend (which means sitting around looking at how dirty the house is), life seems a little too fast and messy. This is one of those weeks when it's tempting to just hunker down until things slow down.

Despite my inclinations, I didn't do that this evening. I decided to leave duties aside and join some other Quakers to discuss our faith's peace testimony. I could say I was supporting the Friend that has been organizing these talks, but really I was hoping for an evening where I could put all tasks and responsibilities out of mind. The evening was a chance to examine my own attempts at peace in my life and an inspiration to hear how others have approached much tougher situations. Three men were of draft age near the end of the Vietnam war. They took different paths of conscientious objection, illustrating that each of us has to follow our convictions in our own.

I'm glad I didn't stay home to do laundry, write emails, or type up minutes. Sometimes a serious discussion is an escape from ordinary life.

No comments: